Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I just don't exactly know...


 If you asked me what I wanted to be about fifteen years ago, you probably would’ve gotten ballerina, actress, and mermaid as possible answers. However, my days of frilly pink tu-tus and Ariel dress-up costumes are long gone, now replaced with resumes, portfolios, and power-point presentations. Ever since I was a little girl, my career ambitions have changed upward of a hundred times, but now as a junior CCPA (now called “communications studies”) major, I can at least confidently say I have an idea of what I would like to accomplish in the communications field.

This past summer, I held an internship position at Conde Nast Digital (the online division of Conde Nast Publications) working in the marketing department for various websites including epicurious.com, style.com and concierge.com. I spent my days writing and uploading RSS feeds, managing all the sites’ facebook and foursquare accounts, and writing copy for promotional emails. I was so excited to be so heavily involved with social media, after spending an entire semester learning how crucial this trend is becoming in the communications field. I definitely envisioned myself sitting in that same office in just few years from now, yet hopefully at a bigger desk instead of a tiny intern’s cubicle. But that was only my first internship. I am just getting started.

So, if you asked me today, fifteen years later, what I want to be when I grow up, I’d probably be honest and respond, “you know what, I just don’t know!” But what I do know is that the most important thing for me is to be passionate about my job. I want to wake up each morning, not trudging to work, but practically running into the office. I need a job that will match my high energy, passion for people, and appetite for success.

With that said, I am only twenty.  There is so much more to learn and experience, which drives my excitement for this semester’s Dallas Communication Leaders topics class.  I want to walk out in May with a clearer perspective on what I want to spend my life doing, and more importantly, NOT doing.  Here’s looking to a great semester! 

No comments:

Post a Comment