Thursday, February 17, 2011

90 Minutes with Ken Fairchild


After mysterious winter weather hit Dallas, cancelling not just one, but TWO classes, last night we finally got the chance to listen to our next speaker, Ken Fairchild. And I can assure you that it was definitely worth the wait.

Mr. Fairchild, a pioneer in the communication field, spoke to us on Crisis Communication in the era of social media. With over 40 years in the business under his belt, he truly had some great things to share with the class.  But it was his emphasis on headlines that truly made me analyze my own communication skills, and how they could improve.

I’ll admit that in the past I’ve had trouble expressing myself without blabbing or using multiple “ums” and “likes;” fights with my sisters, arguments with my parents, and questions that have left me stumped and speechless. Mr. Fairchild’s advice shed light on how I can more effectively handle myself in such situations.

Throughout his lecture, Mr. Fairchild harped on the idea that your message is the most important thing. It doesn’t matter which medium you choose to distribute your message; that strategy depends on knowing exactly what you want to say.

His advice: develop your message by starting with the headline. “Tell it in one sentence” he said, and then if necessary provide an example, and then lastly give proof. “If you develop your message like this, even Mike Wallace can’t make you say something you don’t want to say.”

Mr. Fairchild’s words gave me a newfound confidence to adequately communicate my message without sounding like a broken record. Who knows, maybe I’m even ready for 60 Minutes. Bring it on Mike Wallace…

1 comment:

  1. Great headline. And I agree that Fairchild drove his point about "the message" across loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete